Which bunk is better the top bunk or the bottom bunk?
If you are seriously asking which bunk is better, two things spring to mind. One your extremely bored at a hostel or the fact you have never stayed in a hostel before!
Luckily for you, The Funny Backpacker has answered the question of the ages. ( I can’t believe I’m about to spend around an hour writing about bunk beds)
Top bunk bed or Bottom bunk bed?
Let’s good and bad for top and bottom!
- See the whole room
- If for some reason there is a sword fight, you have a height advantage
- Less chance of being crushed by a bunk
- Fewer people have slept in that bed (Nights slept by people)
- Heat Rises
- If you fuck in the top bunk you can show dominance to the whole room!
- If there flood, less chance of drowning
- Falling out of bed and dying (definitely higher risk)
- In a gunfight, you would be trapped
- If people start fucking underneath you, you get a shaky nights sleep
- Drunk people find these bed impossible to climb on to
- You will wake up bottom bunk every time you move
- No way to cover yourself up (everyone can see you)
- Heat Rises
- People get annoyed at you for sleeping above them
- Can’t see the whole room (weird shit goes on in hostels, better of not seeing some of it)
- If there is a fire you are closer to the exit
- You can make a “rape cage” (when you put towels up around your bed to give you privacy)
- If you need a piss at night you can just get out of bed
- Fewer people can see you
- Don’t have to do exercise to get in bed
- If Ed Sheeran is outside handing out free tickets, you have a time advantage than the top bunk
- Higher chance of being near a plug
- Everyone can’t wait until you leave the hostel/room
- Long termers- sleep in these beds (less said about long termers the better)
- More nights periods of sleep have happened in this bed
- If a guy breaks into the hostel, more likely he will sleep in your bed
- if someone brings someone back to the hostel to fuck and they have a top bunk higher odds of fucking in your bed
- People might drop shit on your head (also there phone or other stuff)
- Might find a drunkard on your bed
So which bunk is better?
With this good vs bad list, It doesn’t matter the perks of a top bunk… No one wants one of these (unless you are weird). They are Impractical due to climbing up and down in the dark. You don’t want to be the one who wakes everyone up!
Times where the top bunk is better
Saying this, there are times when the Top bunk is better
- When there is two of you, mainly talking to couples traveling together. claiming a whole bed is better than two bottoms
- If your in a rough hostel that doesn’t look clean. Take the top bunk, less worn, less chance of someone taking your bed and many other hygiene reasons
- If there is a dick in your room, take the bunk above them a piss them off
- If there are no bottom bunks available, sleeping on the floor is weird!
The odds of getting a bottom bunk
“May the odds be ever in your favor” Hunger games
Unlike the hunger games people don’t have to die, they might but that’s bad luck for housekeeping.
There is a science and art of getting a bottom bunk. If you think its an easy as asking… Your wrong!
There is 50% Top bunks and 50% bottom bunks (unless there is a bed missing, don’t stay at them hostels) so how can you put the odds in your favor?
There is a lot of different factors, But you need to learn a couple of behind the scenes secrets about hostels.
The secrets about hostels
- long termers stay in the cheapest dorm
- book for 2 nights in a new hostel then upgrade if need be
- The bottom bunk is taken by choice
- More beds, more empty beds
- People check out on Sundays and Mondays and Check-in Thursdays- Sundays
- Some websites will tell you how many booking has been made in the last couple of days and how many for each room ( some website even tell how many has been booked on your day)
- Asking for a bottom bunk at reception or asking how many people in your room lowers your chance of getting a bottom bunk
- More expensive the room the fewer nights per person
How you can use the secrets to get a bottom bed
Long termers stay in the cheapest bed
Knowing this you can, cross off the cheapest room off your list for bottom bunks. As the longest would be in these beds by now (even with this room having the most beds)
Book for 2 nights in a new hostel then upgrade if need be
This a little trick I picked up rather quickly, Book 2 nights.
The 1st night you can work out if you get a bottom bunk or not. You can do research on the people in the room or what other people like to call it going to know people, work out how long the people are staying and work out if there is going to a free bed when you’re around.
The next day go to reception and upgrade or book more nights at this point you may already have a bottom bunk, then you need to book more nights. The reason why I stay book 2 nights is that;
- The hostel might be a shit hole!
- The hostel might be fully booked the next night (and you could end out on your arse after just one night)
- You will find the deals on the front desk and after staying a night, they can tell if your a twat or not! and will give you these deals
- Moving rooms are much easier ( It doesn’t look like your looking for a bottom bunk, more this later)
The bottom bunk is taken by choice
This isn’t good for you, But it’s good to know! If there is 5 people in a 10 dorm room expect all the bottom bunks to be taken.
More beds, more empty beds
If the hostel has a 12-bed dorm for $12 a night, a 10 bedroom for $18 night and 4 bedrooms for $19 a night
Take the ten bedroom, due to the bad pricing this room will be nearly empty (if the hostel isn’t full) Your heart will be saying your a knob but your head will enjoy the lower bunk.
People check out on Sundays and Mondays and Check-in Thursdays- Sundays
This one is key. If traveling and you want to change hostels do it on a Tuesday. The hostel is more likely to be quiet and the bed free, when the room is full again at the weekend you already claimed your bed.
Some websites will tell you how many booking has been made in the last couple of days and how many for each room ( some website even tell how many has been booked on your day)
When choosing hostels if the full are selling online, imagine the hostel is going to be busy… no bottom bunks, choose another hostel.
More expensive the room the fewer nights per person
The people who are staying in the 4-dorm beds are probably not long termers- Due to not trying to save money.
Asking for a bottom bunk at reception or asking how many people in your room lowers your chance of getting a bottom bunk
This one might sound strange, But asking for something like this in a hostel, pisses off the reception staff. They have no powers on who gets what bed. Don’t ask for a room with bottom bunks free, your more likely placed the fullest room just so you leave the hostel ASAP, As your now seen as an annoying guest.
Offseason the hostel will be quieter
It will be easier to get a bottom bed in offseason especially in the bigger room.
The golden summary on getting a bottom bunk!
Don’t ask, change room or hostels on Tuesdays, stay in the rooms with bad pricing (or the second biggest), check the website before booking a new hostel make sure no rooms are sold out. Offseason the bigger the room even more chance. If you don’t mind waiting a couple of days a 4-bed dorm is your best bet
Thanks for reading
Loved this blog? Check out YHA Fremantle Prison -The Best Hostel In The World?
If you want your picture to feature on one of our blogs or our Instagram page, make sure to tag #funnybackpacker
If you enjoyed this blog click like and subscribe to our email list!
leave a comment will try to reply ASAP.
Don’t forget to smash it!